Subject: Re: Re: stumped on install--won't initialize swap <Writing inode
tables: 1/15>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:08:09 -0400
From: "mlau" <mlau@snet.net>
To: <ke6sls@arrl.net>, "Lau, Mary,  N1VH" <n1vh@arrl.org>
Cc: "Daniel L Speyer" <dspeyer@wam.umd.edu>

Hi Jaye and Daniel:
>  So I am going
> to assume that you did repartition the disk, write that data to the disk

and

> it still failed following the partitioning.

Yes.

>I don't know what part of the
> mount failed however, is this in reference to the swap partition, or is

this

> after swap was added and it was trying to mount the root file system?

After the swap was added and trying to mount root file system.

> Next, did you try shutting down the computer and then restarting it as the
> second message suggested following the partitioning procedure?

Yes. Understood everything Nate suggested and tried same.

> Finally, I don't have any idea how the BIOS is set up on the computer.  A

2gb

> hard disk could possibly too large for the BIOS to recognize.  Can you get
> into the BIOS settings and snoop around a little bit?  Might be some silly
> setting that needs to be toggled, etc.

Well, back when I was frustated over installing Red Hat, I was stumped by
the ever-popular Signal 11 error. This error refers to BIOS problems, but
I'm clueless how to diagnose such. It's the same computer I'm working on
with Woody.

Thanks, Jaye. Naturally, we always hope that this try or that will get it
but heck..I've learned over many years...anything really valuable may take
an effort. :-)

- --- Mary

PC = Compaq Pentium 166
2.1 G HD/ 64 MB RAM
Network Card  3-C905B TX Fast Etherlink (Ethernet)
No sound card.
No modem.
Video card: S3-Trio64V2GX (embedded chip set, PCI buss on motherboard)
Gateway 2000 CrystalScan 1024NI monitor
Printer:  hpdeskjet 940c

- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!