Suggested way of troubleshooting installed packages...(Mailman)

I'm new to Debian have recently converted from RH.  Most of my installation
has gone very smoothly and only now as I'm trying out new things and I
running into difficulties.  While using RH, I avoided RPM's and compiled
everything from source.  Now I'm trying to use Debian packages and when
problems arise I'm not sure what to do.  Google searches, mailing-list
archives and tool homepages don't seem to have the information I'm looking
for.  I've always tried to avoid sending to mailing lists as typically an
answer is out there, somewhere.  So far I've struck out on my queries.
Where does a Debian user turn to for help?

A specific case involving Mailman is explained below..

For instance I'm trying to setup GNU Mailman.  The apt-get install steps
went find.  I was able to get into the /usr/lib/mailman/bin directory for
the administration level needs.  However the web-page interfaces don't seem
to be set up.  So I pulled down a tarball of Mailman to read what its INSTALL
said and compare against the installed version.  Everything looked
right except I didn't see any of the webserver directory changes that
the INSTALL file mentioned reflected in either httpd.conf. (I seem to have two
of these one for apache and one for apache-ssl, I'm going to see if I can
combine/virtual host as I did on RH).  So apparently the paths used by Mailman
aren't created in the web-tree filesystem and aren't aliased by apache.

I tried a search for bugs on the Debian bugtracker for Mailman; it came up
empty.  The Mailman project site (not Debian specific) had no information
regarding Debian (and its mailing list archive server wasn't resolving for me
this afternoon).

Where should I have been looking?

Thank you.
Eric