Re: can't connect to cable modem with kernel-image-2.4.18-686

>> Platform: Intel PII, debian testing
>> 	     eth0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Cyclone 10Mbps TPO Vers LK1.1.16
>> 	     eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 (Digital PC5510 built-in
>> 	           network interface)
>> 	           kernel-image-2.2.19 2.2.19-12
>> 	           kernel-image-2.4.18-586
>> 	           pump 0.8.11-5 DHCP client

[snip! eth1 on cable modem, eth0 on private LAN]
>> This works fine when I use the 2.2.19 kernel listed above.  But when I
>> try using the 2.4.18 kernel listed above, I'm unable to contact
>> anything on eth1.
> [snip!]
>> Is there a Tulip problem in 2.4.x perhaps?

> The /usr/share/doc/kernel-image-2.4.18-686/README.Debian.1st.gz file,
> has the following comment:
>  * Work around 21143 (rev 65) select_media bug in drivers/net/tulip/21142.c.

> Perhaps the fix to the Tulip driver turned out wrong for my card?

As an experiment, I swapped the lines of my /etc/modules, from

3c59x
tulip

tulip
3c59x

to rename "eth0" and "eth1", and swapped the cables.  This made the
3Com card become connected to the cable modem (eth1), and the Tulip
card become connected to the internal network (eth0).

This time the 3Com card came up fine with a DHCP lease from the cable
modem side, but the Tulip card was unable to contact anything on the
internal network.

But I noticed something interesting: the LED on the Hub for the
connection to the Tulip card was blinking on and off.  And when it was
on, the hub traffic indicator LEDs where indicating a full network
load.

Does this indicate the Tulip 10/100-selector failing?  The hub is only
an old 10BaseT hub, and I think the cable modem is also only 10BaseT.

Is there perhaps an argument I can give to the Tulip driver in
/etc/modules, to force it to 10Mb/s?

Thanx!

- Steinar