Re: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

This one time, at band camp, Ken Januski said:
> Thanks for the advice Steve,
>
> I've tried some of it. I removed gpm. I then took at look at what packages I
> had and saw I had one for xserver-common version 3 as well as 4. I told
> dselect to remove version 3. It told me it would remove:
> task-x-windows-system-core
> xf86setup
> xserver-common-v3
> xserver-sv3
> xserver-svga
> xserver-vga16
>
> I trusted it on this and said ok. That seemed to work except for a note
> telling me that I'd need to run dkpg-reconfigure xserver-s3v before I
> restarted x.
>
> I also linked /dev/mouse to /dev/ttys0, which is owned by root.
>
> I then tried X -configure. That told me that /etc/X11/X was not executable.
> startx told me the same thing. When I checked I then saw that /etx/X11/X is
> a link to the svga server that I just got rid of!
>
> So now I'm stuck in a new place and am not really sure if I've progressed or
> not. Perhaps you can tell better than I. Unfortunately I now have to leave
> for an 8 hour work shift. But if you have any more ideas as to what to try
> next please let me know. I'd really like to get this straighened out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
apt-get install xserver-xfree86 should fix that problem.  X changed
quite a bit between v3 and v4.  It used to have all of these seperate
server packaging depending on which video card you have, but now the one
server is modularized, and loads the module for your video card as
needed.
Hopefully, this should fix your problems.  If not, write back.  I went
through a lot of this in a potato -> woody upgrade about a year ago, and
managed to fix it with some suggestions from this list.  Don't despair
yet.  I had thought some of the rockiness had been worked out, but
apparently not.
HTH,
Steve
--
Some programming languages manage to absorb change, but withstand progress.
		-- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982