Re: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

Kent West wrote:

> Ken Januski wrote:
>
> >X still doesn't start because of the "unable to get status of mouse
> >fd" error. Some research on the archives led me to suspect that was
> >related to gpm, something I'm not that familiar with. Based on what I
> >read I don't need gpm since I use X and so I killed gpm. But still
> >the errors continued.
> >
> >At this point the only clue I have as to how to proceed is in regard to the
> >mouse. I've fiddled with its settings in /dev, trying various links   since
> >I no longer remember what it was when it worked. At one point after I'd
> >linked /dev/mouse to /tty0 I think, X no longer gave me the errors. But at
> >the same time it immediately shut down, i.e. it ran through all the startup
> >messages then said it was shutting down.
>
> If it's true that your X problems are related to the mouse, I'd
> re-install gpm and make sure the mouse is working with gpm in the text
> console (don't worry about X for now - this is just to test to make sure
> the mouse and Linux get along together). I'm suspecting something's gone
> bad about your mouse/hardware.

It hardly seems likely that his mouse would suddenly die just when he
upgraded to Woody. That's a pretty wild coincidence.

He says he doesn't think he needs gpm, so the best thing to do would be
to remove it entirely and configure X to look at the mouse device
directly (/dev/psaux or whatever).

Craig