Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

on Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:17:18AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy insinuated:
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:42:43AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> >
> >>Going back to the original subject, it's always struck me that the
> >>collision between plain-text line-wrapping ('>>>>>' crap) and
> >>screen width is actually one of the best arguments for HTML mail!
> >>
> >>At some point of multiple nesting, plain-text wrapping will exceed
> >>a fixed width of 72 or 80 characters, and there's really nowhere
> >>to go.
> >>

> > vim's gq command can reformat quoted text neatly - I know pico's
> > ^J command can do it too, I'm sure other editors can manage. This
> > seems like a pretty nice solution to that problem to me.
> >
> > I run gq over the content of all the mails I write before sending
> > them pretty much without thinking now.
>
> Hmmm...  Hey, that's pretty neat; didn't know it could do that.

i frankly don't know how you survived without it.  i spent about a
week using vim before i was told about gq}, and hated it until then.
i too automatically rewrap text ... without it i might still be using
emacs ;)

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu