changing print margins

Hello there,

I have a lexmark z53, which mostly works fine with debian (for some reason Opera won't print to it, but that's not such a pressing problem, since I can always paste a URL into mozilla when I need it). But when I do a simple lp (of, e.g., /etc/fstab or some file I want a record of; or of a text file in OpenOffice) the file seems to want to start print right at the edge of the paper. The printer wisely stops it form doing so, so I get a cutoff zone at the edge of the paper. Does anyone know how I can reset the area? I have the foomatic lexmark printer drivers, and I tried (just now) adjusting the ImageableArea variable in the ppd, but nothing seemd to change (I started/stopped the printer, as well as cupsysd itself).
This must be a common problem -- is there a straightforward solution?

matt