Re: Gnome2

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 16:53, Michael Montagne wrote:
> Well, I just couldn't help myself.  I added unstable and experimental
> and the hadess lines to my sources.list and tried to install Gnome2.
> After needing to manually download and install gnome-utils, everything
> finally installed and configured correctly (I used dist-upgrade).  It
> almost works.  After the gdm login screen, I am greeted with a nice blue
> screen with a blank white box in the middle.  And then it all stops
> the latest but didn't make any difference.

You will probably need the following packages installed:

gnome-session2
gnome-panel2

I would recommend the following packages also:

nautilus2
gnome-applets2
gnome-control-center2
gnome-media2
gnome2-user-guide
metacity

If you apt-get that lot, you'll probably do better.

Then you probably need to visit your alternatives to verify that stuff
is being properly used:

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

Ensure that both of these are pointing to the programs of your choice
(in my case, that's /usr/bin/gnome-session and /usr/bin/metacity,
respectively)

Another thing I found that was that the session took a very long time to
start up until I saved my settings on exit, and then it was fine after
that.

Hope this helps

Peter.

--