Re: Debian's root path

On  0, ThanhVu Nguyen <thanhvunguyen@psu.edu> wrote:

> > So where is the $PATH changed when doing plain su (without the
> > hyphen)?
> >

> Right, that's my original question - how did Debian make it so when
> just do su , the $PATH changes and include /sbin , /usr/sbin etc.  In
> other distro (Redhat), I would need to do su -

Go RTFM.  man su he say:

The current environment is passed to the new shell.  The value of
$PATH is reset to /bin:/usr/bin for normal users, or
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin for the super user.  This may be changed
with the ENV_PATH and ENV_SUPATH definitions in /etc/login.defs. When
using the -m or -p options, the users environment is not changed.

Regards
Tom
--
Tom Cook

Classifications of inanimate objects:  Those that don't work, those that break down, and those that get lost.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au