Keyboard Problems after Kernel Compilation

Hi! I hope someone out there can give me a hand.

I am completely new to Linux and I installed Debian Woody in my PC(has a USB keyboard) a couple of weeks ago. The precompiled kernel was 2.4.18-bf2.4 and the keyboard worked fine.

Because of my modem instalation, I had to copy the kernel source from the instalation CD and recompile it. Well, the source was 2.4.18 and not 2.4.18-bf2.4 (I have no idea what the difference is). I used 'make oldconfig', but a bunch of new options were asked.

Now with the new kernel, the NumLock and CapsLock keys do not work and if I try to use them, they lock up the keyboard. The keyboard becomes active again after any mouse movements(PS/2).

Does anybody has any idea why this happens?

Carlos