Re: fetchmail stopped during dist-upgrade

on Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:56:18PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh insinuated:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > upgraded to 3.0 from a potato-woody hybrid yesterday, and noticed that
> >
> > orange:~> fetchmail -a
> > 179 messages for nori at sccs.swarthmore.edu (662992 octets).
> > reading message nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu:1 of 179 (4192 octets)
> > ..fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
>
> 	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You don't have a MTA
> running. Fix that. I suggest postfix, but exim is also a very good
> choice. If you had one, it may have been uninstalled during the
> upgrade.

oh, of course -- i think what i did was choose to not configure
postfix during the many "do you want to overwrite your old config
files" options ... so i have postfix, it's just not configured right.
i'm assuming.

question is, how do i configure it without removing not only it, but
all the programs that depend on it (mutt, anacron, &c.)?  `dpkg
--configure postfix` tells me it's already configured (which it is,
just wrongly), and executing postfix as root gives me the error:

orange:~# postfix
postfix: fatal: chdir(/usr/libexec/postfix): No such file or directory

which just reaffirms to me that it's not configured properly.  so i
thought to remove and reinstall it in order to get the prompted again
to configure it properly.  this does seem like a hack, though, and
anyway i don't want to remove all its dependencies.  what's the best
way to reconfigure it?

thanks again,

</nori>

--