Re: printing problem via smbprint ?

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 05:20, Martin A. Hansen wrote:
> i want print from my linux box to a shared printer connected to a winbox.
>
> alas, all printjobs times out and errors:
>
> using the command:
>
> lpr -PLW file.ps
>
> Printer: lp@homer 'Laser Writer Select 360'
> Queue: no printable jobs in queue
> Server: no server active
> Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size Time
> error  maasha@homer+177
>
> i can "mount" the shared printer from my linux box with:
>
> smbclient //server/printer -Uuser
>
> so now i am lost in the deep linux printing sea! :(
>

> martin

I use a similar setup, print via Samba. On a Woody box, I use gnulpr
which uses 'printtool' to setup the printer. It uses the 'printcap'
file, writes an appropriate entry, i.e.

##PRINTTOOL3## SMB ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default {}
lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :if=/usr/lib/printfilters/master-filter:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/acct:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :PAPERSIZE=letter:\
        :DESIRED_TO=ps:\