Re: 120GB Hard Disk, Debian and Partition Suggestions

At 2002-07-21T19:52:06Z, "David Teague" <teague@jackson.main.nc.us> writes:

> Why do you say this? As long as you have swap on a different disk, things
> should be OK.

I'm mainly used to FreeBSD performance tuning vs. Linux.  FreeBSD
interleaves swap space across every configured swap partition, so putting a
bit of swap on *all* of your drives (at least, the quicker ones) is a good
thing.  I've never looked at Linux to see if that's the case.

> Anyhow why should I never replace 2 HDs by 1?

I wouldn't have used the word "never".  Still, unless the old drive is very
much slower than the new one, you may be better off adding spindles rather
than replacing them.  I've been known to buy two smaller drives rather than
one large one for the specific purpose of dividing the load across the
drives.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/