Re: 120GB Hard Disk, Debian and Partition Suggestions

At 2002-07-19T23:12:26Z, Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> writes:

> It wouldn't be difficult (surely it must have been done somewhere?) to
> support more than four primary partitions, though this would annoy some
> system utilities that expect to look at the first sector and see a
> partition table in the common format.

The BSDs, on x86 hardware at least, typically encourage the user to set up
exactly one BIOS partition, which FreeBSD refers to as a "slice".  Then you
divide the slice into "partitions" which are conceptually similar to the
partitions you're use to.

For example, the root partition on the FreeBSD server that sits next to my
desk is /dev/ad0s1a:

   ad0: The first IDE drive
    s1: The first slice on that drive
     a: The first partition on that slice

My swap devices are /dev/rad0s1b and /dev/rad2s1b:

     r: Raw device
 ad0,2: The primary master and secondary master
    s1: The first slice
     b: The second partition within that slice
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/