Re: finding status of pppd in demand mode

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:02:49PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Carel Fellinger <carel.fellinger@iae.nl> [2002.07.18.0308 +0200]:
> > you could also look at fetchmail, I think it keeps track of packet
> > count to see if the line is still active.
>
> good spot, but packet count may well be non-increasing over some
> period of time while the link is actually physically connected. it
> would be wrong then to conclude that the link is down...

A bit late, but maybe still of interest:

have you considered setting flags, like:

   in /etc/ppp/ip-up:    touch /etc/ppp/on-line
   in /etc/ppp/ip-down:  rm /etc/ppp/on-line

You could even use this to keep track of state, like provider name.
I'm considering using this to steer exim to route email to the proper
smart-mail-server depending on the IPS used for the actual connection.

--
groetjes, carel