Re: OT: Digital camera, SanDisk, and Debian

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:04:37AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
Off-topic, but who better to ask than you folks?

I'm interesting in getting a digital camera. I figure the 2.x Megapixel $200-$300 variety will be fine for my needs. I know next to nothing about these little critters. Whereas I'd like to plug the camera directly into my Debian box (2.4 kernels, Sid), I'm not opposed to getting a card reader of some sort. I saw a SanDisk ImageMate for $30 that reads both CF and SM cards. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Before I take the plunge, does anyone want to weigh in with their opinion as to what to avoid, what to get, what to watch out for, etc? I'd appreciate the input.
Patrick Mahoney wrote:

I personnaly have a Kodak dx-3500 (320$CA, 200$US on amazon), and
jphoto transfers pictures without hassle. As for battery power used to
transfer the pictures... who cares? 20 minutes and theyre fully
loaded.

p wrote:

i took the plunge with a kodak dx3700 (3.1 megapixels),
a compact flash card, and a card reader.  everything
works nicely; and with the card reader, i don't have
to worry about finding software that will interface
with the camera.  it was a no-brainer.

David and Craig provided some good info also.

Can either the DX-3500/3700 do movie clips? Audio? After a little research, I'm leaning toward Fiju FinePix 2800Z. Any pros/cons? I like the price of the DX-3500 though. Is the MMC/SD slot on the 3700 a superset of CF? In other words, will standard CF cards work in it? Are MMC/SD cards more expensive/proprietary/hard-to-find/etc?

Thanks!

Kent