Re: Modem Gateway

----- Original Message -----
From: "Crispin Wellington" <crispin@aeonline.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: Modem Gateway

> On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 12:48, dan.hunt wrote:
> > Hey! I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and I am begining to learn a
thing or
> > two. Thanks!
> > As a fresh "gnubie" my lingering struggle (6 weeks) is restoring
internet
> > service to my home after begining my GNU/Linux learning curve with
Woody.

> > I have two machines each with woody and one NIC. I have each NIC working
and
> > connected with a crossover cable.  Thanks to the Ethernet-HOWTO. One
machine
> > I call DTK has a modem in it that works without M$.
> > When I type route ( as root ) on the DTK machine It feed me :
> > Destination : 192.168.0.2
> > Gateway:       *
> > Genmask: 255.255.255.255
> > Flags:  UH
> > Metric: 1
> > Ref: 0
> > Use: 0
> > Iface: tap0
>
> You should probably set DTK to destination: 192.168.0.0 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 device: eth0
>
> I don't know why its tap0. tap0 is mostly used for demand dial. Demand
> dial is probably using the 192.168.0.* address space to detect for the
> presence of outgoing traffic. This is clashing with your internal IP
> address space.
>
> You have two options. One, move your intenal machines to another private
> address block, like 192.168.1.* or 10.0.0.*.
>
> Two, (the easiest) go...
>
> dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low --frontend=dialog diald
>
> Read the first page, select a different ip block and enter something
> you're never going to use (like 192.168.76.1 and 192.168.76.2)
>
> then restart diald (/etc/init.d/diald restart), then bring your
> interface backup (ifdown -a; ifup -a)
>
> Let us know how you go
>
> Crispin Wellington

I took option Two, the easy route to reconfigure diald.
I read the first page and took it's good advice
The plog ( I beleive ) showed me the primary dns and secondary dns Thanks!
I ran pon to connect. The output of the ifconfig then was:
lo Local Loopback
ppp0 Point-to-Point Protocol
tap0 Ethernet
The interesting bit was the ethernet rx=0 but the tx=118
lynx wouldn't connect to anything.
I could ping my ppp0 assigned ip
I could not ping the Compaq upstairs. From upstairs I could not ping the
Modem box.
However no annoying DENY messages when I was pinging.
I did get deny message from an ip that was not mine.
I did not set DTK to destination: 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 device:
eth0
That would be done by
1. ifdown -a
2. ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
Right?

Now do I work on the ...... ?
A.) the line above
B.) shutting off the services I don't need yet?
C.) ipmasq
D.) reading and re-reading the ipmasq manual

BTW How would I test that all it is working anyway?

Thank you,
--
IMHO this list IS as much fun to participate in as it is to read .