Re: spam assassin install/test

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:34:19 -0400, John F Davis wrote:

[...]
>For what its worth, I didn't do the part about configuring spam assassin to
>run in .procmail.  I thought it you install spamd, it invokes spam assassin
>globaly and there is notthing else to do.

As I understand it SPAM assassin is disabled if you "run" it this way. :-)

The "spamd" is just a daemon that takes scan requests from "spamc," executes
them and returns the result to "spamc."

Note also that SPAM assassin doesn't immediately cancel incoming messages upon
sight of a single indication of possible SPAM. Each sign of potential SPAM it
sees receives a score. When the message's total score reaches a certain level
you define it's marked as SPAM. If the level even reaches a second (higher)
level it's definitely SPAM and thus reception is refused.

I can't tell you much about running SPAM assassin and Exim 3 as they're
available in Debian "testing." BUT I can tell you how I got SPAM assassin
running.

I "debianized" the most current Exim version (4.05) for "testing." I included
in this package (at least build "3sa") "sa-exim," a package that interfaces
SPAM assassin to Exim. It's being integrated into Exim4 by means of a new
method called "local_scan." Usually you integrate "your" local_scan function
into Exim4 by replacing a dummy function with your code. I used a patch that
allows you to dynamically load this function into Exim.

All of the above is included in my package. The only other thing you need is
the "spamassassin" package itself (my Exim package even has the proper
dependency ;-). After you have installed these two packages you insert some
statements into exim.conf that enable the sa-exim extension, and there you
go....

If you would like to try my package, find it at:

    http://ADSL-Bergs.RZ.RWTH-Aachen.DE/~rabe/debian/

But please note that this package is NOT as mature as you know Debian. They're
just inoffical packages. Especially you have to manually convert your
exim.conf to Exim4 syntax, it will NOT automatically be converted. The Exim4
bianry runs very well for me, as does the SPAM assassin integration. A friend
of mine sent me some 200 SPAM messages he had collected, and even tho I only
have a 32 meg 486-133 machine as a mail server all went very well. Apart from
some Asian-language messages (that SPAM assassin could not decipher, and which
hadn't any other hints they were SPAM) SPAM assassin caught nearly ALL SPAM
messages!!

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\