Re: Preparation for Debian Installation

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:15:14PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote something like this:

> You must live on another planet.

a lot of people think so :)

> OK, There was quite a bit to do to make the machine dual-boot. But I did
> that.
> But after that?  Easy ??
> Not at all.
> The instructions are of immense size and seem disordered.

I guess you're saying that there IS a lot of documentation then, so
that's good...but you're right it is disordered and of varying
quality.

I'm beginning to think that the people who end up using Linux and who
love it are those that for some reason can process the information
they need out of that disorder.

We all seem to learn differently, some can be given reams of printed
material and enjoy going through it. Some if they see a video will
understand things immediately and others if they are shown, one on one
will grasp things quickly.

Some will follow the instructions to the letter and others for some
reason will be in a rush to finish something and make a mistake

> Even with a small installation, it is like a huge maze trying to figure out what
> packages to install and where they are. There's no clear way to work out
> priorities; essential packages, etc. It's like trying to find a needle in a
> haystack.

I think Debian makes it very easy...you can't beat apt. Maybe
re-reading the APT-HOWTO could be of help.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

or just

apt-get install apt-howto-en  (for the English version)

> It's as if NOBODY has ever put themselves in the shoes of a newbie who
> wants, for whatever reason, to use Debian, and designed & constructed a
> start & install system from the viewpoint of a new user.

I'm not sure if Debian is for the complete linux newbie. The best line
I've heard about Debian is that "it's not where you should start if
you want to try linux but it's the place where you will end up"

My feeling tends to be if you want to learn linux you may as well
start at the top...but you have to realize that there is a steep
learning curve.

> Three years later of intermittent trying (and no success) and it looks as
> though I'm going to buy  another distribution, in order to get packages that
> work with CDROM writers.

This may be the best thing for you to do...though a quick search of
the mailing list archive should give you a good idea on how to use the
scsi emulation to get that CDRW working.

I think the fact that you are still on this list after 3 years says
something good about Debian...

....the other inhabitants of my planet send their regards
and hope you'll find a linux distro that you love.

--
"First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you.
       Then, they fight you. Then, you win." - Ghandi