Re: kernel on boot sector (for non-i386 arch)

On Sunday 14 July 2002 10:19 pm, Thedore Knab wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could refer me to some documentation on
> how-to setup a Linux system without the boot loader software.
>
> I want to have the kernel set in the boot sector so it automatically
> boots without any need for grub or lilo.
>
> This is needed for some non-Intel platforms.
>
> ---------------------
> Ted Knab

I think you'll always need some form of bootstrap process, as the
kernel is too big to fit into the boot sector. The specifics depend on
the platform. I've only done it on x86 and Alpha - if you need help
with Alpha, I can help a bit.

If you post a bit more information about the specific platform it will
make it easier for us to help you, the process is very different
between different platforms.

The details of the installation process for all the architectures that
Debian supports are at:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

This may have the information you need.

- Derek