Re: Upgrading to 2.4 kernel in Woody

At 08:56 PM 7/14/02, you wrote:
Thanks!  Yeah, I'd like to start building kernels from source, but thought
I'd try the upgrade with an image first.  I mean, start easy, right?

I have a question about the line:

initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18.gz

How does /boot/initrd-2.4.18.gz get generated?  Is it as simple as typing
mkinitrd /lib/modules/<version>?

I haven't got that far yet because apt tells me to make sure I have my
bootloader configured before I continue with getting the new kernel, so
I've aborted before it finishes.  I assume it puts stuff in /lib/modules,
but I don't know for sure.

Thanks again!

Jen

It was there after the install was completed. I played around with the
grub menu a bit before I got it working, and the config I posted is what
worked.  apt-geting the kernel does 90 to 95% of the work for you. The
problem is, you get what the maintainer uses. The kernel works, but
there is stuff that you don't need or want, and sometimes the stuff you
do want is compiled turned off (like apm).

(I also put the list back in to the email thread for archive reasons).