Re: Potato upgrade to woody fails.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:12:16PM -0400, Kevin J. Galat wrote:
> I just tried to upgrade to woody from potato and have major problems
> with linkers not working etc.  I was using deselect in a virtual
> terminal and have found that the libraries are no longer accessible.  I
> can type in bash but cannot invoke programs etc like ls, cat, dselect,
> top.  This is a little beyond my capability to troubleshoot.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

Looks like your libc6 is borked. If you have a free terminal, login, and
bash will probably not work. I doubt that you'd be able to have a nice
shutdown if it is libc6 (everything in /sbin is dynamically linked).

If you have something like Tom's Root Boot, and a good copy of the deb,
you can manually install it. IIRC, there is a tool called undeb, although
I have never used it. It is easy to take apart a deb anyway.

If you have to do it manually, I would:
  1) boot with Tom's Root Boot
  2) mount the root partition on /mnt
  3) cp the deb to /mnt/tmp
  4) ar x the.deb
  5) tar -xzf data.tar.gz
  6) cp -a directories ..
  7) reboot

Of course, this might not work, and it does not update any package
files, but I doubt that it could make the situation much worse. And for
the next time, I would get sash, or statically compile some of the
binaries (eg. ls, shutdown).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com