request for help with lilo on testing

I recently switched from Red Hat to Debian.  I installed the 2.4.18 kernel to
be able to mount my old Red Hat ext3 /home disk, but I can't seem to get lilo
to boot it properly.  The error message is:

VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem)
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
VFS: cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

The original 2.2.x kernel still boots fine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy