Re: note on upgrade from potato to woody - use woody's apt, dselect

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 09:36:05PM -0700, Elaine Tsiang wrote:
> From my recent experience:
>
> I read the release notes on upgrading:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
>
> I chose the recommended method of using dselect, but I could not get out of
> dselect alive. After I had finished my selections, dselect went through a
> final dependency check, and offered me a final selectioin screen in which all
> the packages were to be purged. I did a 'D' to force installation, and 'Q' to
> override dselect's dependencies and exit. However the output of
> 	# dpkg --get-selections
>
> showed that NO packages was marked for 'install'.

This was probably mostly due to wacky relationships among a small group
of packages. 'dpkg --get-selections' before the upgrade would allow
somebody to try to reproduce it, although it would be some work.

> At that point, I went to the 'not recommended' method of using apt-get. It
> suggests that
>
> 	apt-get install dpkg apt debconf
>
> from woody should be done first.

You can certainly use this and then continue to use dselect if you like.

> However, I think the crucial thing is to install the woody version of apt
> (which includes the dselect front-end) etc., then deselect would have worked
> for the entire upgrade.

Actually, dselect is in the dpkg package (up to and including woody;
it's recently been split into its own package in unstable, although dpkg
still pre-depends on it to ensure a smooth transition). But yes, it
wouldn't surprise me if it made one or two better decisions.

However, upgrading dpkg, apt, and debconf pulls in several of the more
complicated package transitions between potato and woody (chiefly perl),
and that in itself has been known to cause upgrade problems in the past;
a good number have been fixed, but some may have been missed. It may not
be perfect for everyone.

For what it's worth, the upgrades I've performed from potato to woody
worked fine with dselect, although I can operate dselect without a great
deal of thought these days and so I don't recall how much I had to hold
its hand.

Cheers,