Re: local package building

<quote who="David Wright">

> How do I do this? dpkg-buildpackage doesn't seem to have an option for
> fidling with the version number.

another option is to put the package on hold. i do this with
my packages that i build myself that way they are NEVER upgraded
unless i specifically tell apt-get to do it, because if they
were upgraded it would break severely because the upstream
package would have different options then my package.

what i do(there may be another easier way ..)

dpkg --get-selections >selections
(edit the selections file, change the package(s) you have from
install to hold and save the file)

dpkg --set-selections <selections

next time you do an upgrade it will say something like:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  openssl php4 php4-cgi php4-cgi-gd php4-cgi-imap php4-cgi-ldap
php4-cgi-mhash php4-cgi-mysql
  php4-cgi-pgsql php4-cgi-snmp php4-cgi-xml php4-dev php4-ldap ssh
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.

if you had the above packages marked as 'hold'

nate