shutdown -h: must hit ALT CTRL F7 else miss messages

I'd just like to mention, and I tried the posted suggestions, but:
say I'm in a usual Xwindow when I issue the shutdown -h now command.
I am then sent to tty1 where I miss all the nice shutting down this
and that service messages.  All I will see is the final "Power off".

If I want to see the nice shutting down this and that service
messages, I must hit ALT CTRL F7 right away.

No amount of mucking in /etc/inittab will change this so one doesn't
need to type the ALT CTRL F7.

If you post a solution (again), please test it first.

Yes, for  me, as it involves a power down, I would only do 1 test per
day, at bedtime.

Yes of course I see the 'Shutting down now' broadcast message no matter
what window I am in.  I am talking about the shutting down this and
that service messages.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780