Re: What are framebuffer devices good for?

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:06:02AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 13:47, andrej hocevar wrote:
> >
> > Then I got a new monitor: a Sony LCD.
> > And here I am, glad that FB exists!
> > And Linus said it himself, avoid it IF you can. So, am I wrong or is
> > there another way of making an LCD usable?
>
> Remember Linus' quotes:
> - "if they have the choice."
> - "Some people don't have the choice"
>
> Still, though, why does an LCD monitor need the framebuffer?

On my laptop, text mode shows up in 640X480 resolution, small and in the
middle of the screen.  I can increase the number of characters, but they
still get packed into less than half the area of my screen.  With FB I get
a to fill the whole screen with text!  :)  Of course, I don't use the FB
for X, just for the virtual consoles, and if you never use those, you could
just stick with plain text mode and it would never bother you.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/