dpkg problem

hi all,
I would like to have some help settingup my debian system. I had some
problems confguring the xserver-svga and getting "startx" work. while i was
trying to do this, i messed around uninstalling xserver and some how i
am not able to 'apt-get', dpkg , ... work.
I got the following errors while i tried to "apt-get install -f"

dpkg:'update-rc.d' not found on PATH
dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATh.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
/sbin
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code(2).

I guess this shows all my inexperience in Debian, but I would like to
thank the list since I get so much of information each day that it is
more than a tutorial in it's own way.

Thanks

--
Lakshmi S.                                lakshmi at uomphysics dot net

Air pollution is really making us pay through the nose.