Re: can I report a bug even if I know it is the upstream authors'?

On 07 Jul 2002 10:02:15 +0800 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net>
wrote:

> Dear debian-user: Just curious, if we use the debian bug reporting
> system, and the bug is actually all the "upstream author"'s fault,

I'm just a Debian user, but my impression is that the idea is to
*always* report bugs to the Debian maintainer. That's what I've done on
a few occasions, and the maintainer either had his package corrected, or
passed the info along to the upstream developer.

I suppose it makes sense, anyway. Debian maintainers should be aware of
bugs in their packages, even if they're upstream bugs. They are known to
patch the upstream code present in their packages until upstream
gets round to dealing with it. On the other hand, dd's are supposed to
have a closer relationship with upstream, which I'm sure has a positive
influence on the way bugs are dealt with upstream.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/