Re: PS/2 mouse no longer detected after upgrade

cargo (2nd) wrote:

Evgeny Stukalov wrote:
After dist-upgrading to woody my standard ps/2 mouse is no longer

recognized (both in console and in X), even though after the upgrade gpm and
XF86Config have roughly the same configuration as before.  Mysteriously, the
/proc/interrupts file is now missing an irq line for the mouse (it used to
be irq 12 for PS/2 Mouse).

    Kent wrote

    On a lark, I just did a "sudo cat /dev/psaux" and moved the mouse
    around; that generated a bunch of noise/erratic mouse movement. So
    you might try that just to see if it spurs any additional thought.

Finally it is working, thank you for your help Kent. /dev/psaux did spit out a bunch of stuff through "cat", so I played with gpm further, specifying one by one every mouse type listed in its man page. When I've set the type to "fups2", it started working (although the same mouse was happily running as "ps2" under potato). And now there is an /proc/interrupts IRQ line for the mouse, but only when the mouse is in use. As soon as I kill gpm server, the IRQ is gone again.

Interesting . . . .
I'm glad you figured it out. I just did a google search for "fups2", and found this "Debian on the IBM X22 Laptop" link (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/burtonini/computing/debian-on-x22.html) which has this to say:

-------

   Mouse

To use the IBM TrackPoint, or the "nipple" as it is commonly known, the kernel must support PS/2 mice. The stock kernel does, so this is not an issue. Remember to turn this option on if you compile your own kernel.

I tried for many days to get the mouse working in the console using gpm. Eventually I discovered the mouse type "fups2", which stands for "broken" PS/2. As a TrackPoint is not a real PS/2 device it is lacking many of the protocol's details, such as initialisation. This gave me a working mouse in the console. I could see the same problems happening again in X so I configured gpm to be a mouse repeater it reformats and repeats the mouse data as it is processed. This means that X can read this data instead of the real mouse device and everything should work.

device=/dev/psaux
       repeat_type=msc
       type=fups2
--------

Odd that your mouse worked before the upgrade. But at least it works again. Yea!

Kent