Re: mounting samba shares

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:08:18AM +0100, neoancient wrote:
| Hello,
| 	I'm using debian (part sid, mostly woody) on a windows nt network, and I've
| added bits to /etc/fstab to mount my windows shares, a few lines of the type
|
| //server/shareddirectory	/mnt/shareddirectory	smb	username=name&password	0	0
|
| On startup, these operations fail, but they succeed when I run mount -a as
| root. There's probably some problem with permissions (eg should I have the
| option user in my fstab). What's more, I can only subsequently write to my
| windows shares as root, which is inconvenient.
|
| Can anyone suggest something?

I don't know about the first problem, maybe it's a networking thing or
maybe it's trying to mount them before [sn]mbd is running ... an
option of "noauto" will stop it from trying to mount it at boot time.

As for the second, first make the mount point read/write/execute-able
by the user you want to allow to mount the share.  Then add the option
'user' in fstab.  Eg :

$ ls -ld /mnt/Aninias/C
drwx------    2 dman     dman         4096 Mar 25 20:42 Aninias/C/

$ grep Anin /etc/fstab
//aninias/C /mnt/Aninias/C smb defaults,user,noauto,workgroup=ITUSA,username=<user>,password=<pass>

HTH,
-D

--

I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  Now a slave
has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/