Re: upgrading from Potato to Woody, was Glib Question

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 02:00, Elaine Tsiang wrote:
> I have been running a RH7.2 with a RH6.2 on the same subnet. I have turned
> the RH6.2 into a Potato. I just found out that a 2.2 Linux serving a 2.4
> Linux NSF in Debian has problems - and I haven't found an answer yet. Other
> things like USB mass storage, wireless stuff also live in 2.4.

If you really want to run a 2.4 kernel on your Potato machine, grab
Adrian Bunk's packages before you install a 2.4 kernel.

> Why I installed Potato instead of Woody is so much water under the bridge -
> being a newbie, I wanted to make sure I reach stability on all previous
> functions, relying on the assumption that any problem I encounter is not due
> to some bug in Debian. Those functions are far from exotic. The Potato is
> just a small web server now.  So I wonder whether I should upgrade to Woody
> now, after having just gotten Potato running, instead of tryinig to solve the
> 2.2-2.4 compatability problem(s)? The eventual goal is to turn the RH7.2 into
> a Woody also, but one potato at a time. Any known  RH7.2/Woody
> incompatibility issues?

You might as well save yourself the trouble of backporting some packages
from Woody or Sid by upgrading to Woody, as it's close to becoming
stable (being already frozen). Just don't go blaming Debian if there are
some security issues yet to be resolved, as Woody is still officially
the testing distribution.

> And does anybody recommend just upgrading the kernel to 2.4 (deprecated by
> Debian) instead of going to Woody?

Deprecated is too harsh (as well as incorrect) a term for Debian.

Then again, you might as well go to testing to get fairly recent
software. Upgrading your distro wouldn't upgrade your kernel by the way.

> What's the cost of one Woody, after having paid one uneaten dinner and one
> sleepless night over one Potato?

To put it bluntly, you need not have sleepless nights or uneaten dinner
to go either way to Woody or potato. It really depends on the
functionality you need (as opposed to what you want) as to where you
want to go.

--

  -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph
GnuPG KeyID 0xEADFF6F4

Tel# (632)6429577
Fax# (632)6429561
Mobile# +639174379283
"You are a software developer. On the cutting edge. You need the
latest and greatest in computer technology. That's why you use, uh,
Unix. Yeah. Anyway, even if your operating system harks back to the
1960s, you definitely can't live without the most modern software
development and management systems available" -- quote adapted