Re: apt-get? non stable debs?

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 07:54:52PM +0200, Stephen Rueger wrote:
> > I have done this on a whole mess of machines.  For example, I wanted
> > bind9, so I installed it from woody.  apt-get installed its dependencies
> > as well, but that is no problem.  The machine has run fine since I did
> > this several months ago.
>
> You've been lucky... see what happens if it pulls the new perl in.

I'd hardly call it luck.  The problem with perl is that, since it's part
of the base system it is not listed as a dependency by many of the
programs that need it.  And since the woody/sid perl is not entirely
backward compatible with potato's, you lose.

If perl was removed from the base system, and packages were forced to
explicitly depend on it, then this problem could be fixed since packages
could depend on a specific perl version.

Fortunately, things like glibc are don't break compatibility like perl
does.

> P.S.: No need to send me a private mail, i'm subscribed

Then set your Mail-Followup-To header, which my mailer respects.  Since
you don't do that, I have no way of knowing where you want your replies
sent and can make no assumptions.

noah