Re: apt-get? non stable debs?

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 22:36:51 -0700 Mike Egglestone
<megglestone@heritage.sd57.bc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> What would one do if they were running a "stable" box, and wanted
> a package that was only offered in "testing" or "unstable"?

I'm not sure potato's apt-get can do it (using woody myself), but since
you can't do apt pinning then you could try the -t flag, like this:

   apt-get -t testing install <package> ...

and then check apt-get's warning about extra packages to be upgraded
and/or removed, before you hit Enter.

This method has the disadvantage of not letting apt track the evolution
of these packages, so you'll not be prompted for upgrades when you issue
"apt-get [dist-]upgrade".

The best solution to your case is probably to upgrade your system's apt
and dpkg to those of Woody, and then set up apt pinning to track all
your packages the right way. There's a Debian Howto covering this, a
"qref" by Osamu Aoki if I'm not mistaken. Google will probably turn it
up for you. It's easy to end up with an unusable broken system doing
this apt/dpkg upgrade, so be sure to follow instructions to the letter
if you try this.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/