Re: exim question

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 11:50:00AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

| Exim is the mta on both machines.

| failed to open database lock file
| /var/spool/exim/db/wait-remote_smtp.lockfile: Permission denied
| (euid=8 egid=8)

Notice that exim is running as mail:mail at this time.  (and that's
not a fatal error, just a notice/warning)

| The contents of /var/spool/exim/db/ on spyker is:
|
| -rw-r-----    1 root     root            0 Okt  2  2001 wait-remote_smtp.lockfile
| -rw-r-----    1 root     root         4096 Okt  2  2001 wait-remote_smtp
| -rw-r-----    1 root     root            0 Okt  2  2001 retry.lockfile
| -rw-r-----    1 root     root         4096 Okt  2  2001 retry

And that only root can read and write the files.

| I have tried to solve the problem by removing
| /var/spool/exim/db/wait-remote_smtp.lockfile but that did not solve
| the problem.

Stop exim, remove all (4) of those files, and start exim again.  They
are just "hints" files anyways, aren't critical, and will be rebuilt
(with new data) if they are missing.

The lockfiles are just there for locking.  The corresponding files are
bsddb database files.  It could be that the version of bsddb changed
in the new exim package, so you would need to remove the old ones
anyways.  (I don't know, I build exim4 for myself now, but that did
happen to me -- a new version of bsddb with incompatible file formats)

FWIW here's how my system looks :

-rw-r-----    1 mail     mail        12288 Jun 28 12:36 retry
-rw-r-----    1 mail     mail            0 Mar 26 20:01 retry.lockfile
-rw-r-----    1 mail     mail        12288 Jun 14 02:05 wait-remote_smtp
-rw-r-----    1 mail     mail            0 Mar 26 20:03 wait-remote_smtp.lockfile

HTH,
-D

--

The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/