Erratic mouse in Debian Potota install

The machine is Dell stock, which came with RedHat 6.2 pre-installed. It has
been running well for > 2 years. I decided to try Debian on it.

The installation completed with an apparent successful XFree86 configuration.
Upon reboot, X starts up fine, and the Debian splash screen is displayed with
some initial icons. But the mouse cursor freezes, appears and disappears,
moves irratically, and mouse clicks have random delayed effects. Needless to
say, it is not usable.

The mouse is PS/2. I have the standard "Pointer" section:

Protocal "PS/2"
Device "/dev/psaux"

I am running twm, xdm and gnome.

I have re-run XF86Setup many times, each time, the mouse works fine within
XF86Setup. So maybe it's a problem with twm, etc.?

Very late on a Friday, would appreciate some hint. Otherwise I'll have to
abandon Debian, and go to RedHat 7.2, which is running fine on another
machine with a PS/2.

Elaine