Re: Resizing partitions..

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 20:16, Andrew Biggadike wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by butcher your partition numbers?  I haven't
> done it yet and might like to try parted - not necessarily for ethical
> reasons (though I certainly understand what you're saying), but just to
> learn more about linux.  My main concern is that I might mess it up, and
> the other way seems to be easier.

I don't know if this is still a problem, but the last time I used
Partition Magic (I believe it was 5.0) it did everything that I wanted
with no problem. Unfortunately, since it didn't ask me if I wanted
partitions at the beginnings or ends of free space, I was left with a
partition table vastly different from what I had planned out. Then
again, I suppose that's more user error than anything. :)

parted is very safe. And it's actually quite easy to use. If you can use
ftp (or any other pseudo-shell program) you'll be right at home in
parted. And if you want to learn more about linux, using a Windows
program such as PM won't help matters much will it? :)

> Hmm, I guess that would prevent me from having to `dd if=/dev/hda3
> of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1` everytime I recompile the kernel, no?
> After I add those lines, would all I have to do is `lilo -b /dev/hda`?

Exactly. And, actually, if you roll your own kernel "The Debian Way",
you won't even need to do that much. The package does it for you.

You don't have it so bad now since your Windows partition is FAT32, so
you can at least write the bootsect.lnx to it from linux. I had an NTFS
partition, so I had to boot into windows anytime I recompiled my kernel.
I'll never be able to get that Windows startup sound out of my head. :)

-Alex