Re: How do I change de IP addresses in woody

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 12:46:03AM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Also, i think its strange that someone with a debian.org address (by
> extension) discourages the use of debconf, which is normal part of a
> default debian install.

What's strange about that?  debconf is used during installation of
packages (and related taks) to interact with the user.  There is
certainly no requirement that the user use debconf to maintain their
system once it's intalled.  I certainly don't do such a thing.

Remember, files in /etc/ are not to be touched by Debian packages unless
the user explicitly requests so via dpkg-reconfigure.  You aren't losing
anything by not using debconf after installation.  Next time you upgrade
your system, debconf won't overwrite the changes you've made to files in
/etc/.

Not only that, but etherconf itself is definitely not a part of the
Debian base install.  What I originally said was that there's no need to
install additional software in order to reconfigure your network
interfaces.  What I said was absolutely true.

noah