Re: How do I change de IP addresses in woody

Noah wrote:

--- Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:14:17PM -0600, Romel
> Sandoval wrote:
> > I want to change the IP address of two woody
> machines to 192.168.1.x and
> > I changed the /etc/hosts file but I notice that
> the machines still
> > respond to their old IP adresses. Well I know this
> by using the ping
> > command.
>
> It's amazing the variety of responses I've seen to
> your question here.
> Just edit /etc/network/interfaces.  Don't look in
> /etc/init.d/ anywhere,
> don't install any new software, just edit the one
> file that the
> interface gets its IP address from.
>
> noah
>
> --

> | Web: http://web.morgul.net/~frodo/
> | PGP Public Key:
> http://web.morgul.net/~frodo/mail.html

It's interesting that you should say that.

I had to get my Potato net working without the aid of
the install scripts, because the install kernal
couldn't load my internet card driver, and thus
wouldn't let me fill in the network menus.

Hunting the net all over, I found all kinds of advice,
lots of it not specific to Debian.  That specific to
Debian listed both the interfaces file you mention,
and the init.d/network file.

I finally got my networking by setting up the
/etc/init.d/network file, and the interfaces file only
has an entry for the loopback.

After all the Debian stuff I read (they listed their
network manual on Debian site as incomplete, I can
verify that), I could never quite understand what was
what.  Got it to work anyway, by brute force and some
experience with Redhat.