RE: Mail Server

Actually, your both not totally correct.  If you follow the "Life with
qmail"
document, its called "vpopmail smtp authentication".

Its fairly "hands-off", and requires no intervention or
adding of IP addresses to the system (manually), its all
automated, it works as such:

If you have a POP3 mail account on the machine, when you connect to the
smtpd daemon, qmail add's your IP address to the tcp.smtp cache ONLY if you
are
authenticated (by your username and password).  That way, you are assumed to
be "OK" by the system to send SMTP traffic through -- hence nobody can
actually
send e-mail through the server unless they have a username and password for
qmail -- which is simply a passwd file that is managed by the vpop admin
tools.

What's really nice about this is if you have a lot of roaming users (laptops
etc.).
As the admin, you never have to add the IP to the tcp.smtp file... its all
done
for you.

Gary