Re: Canonical Way to install Java

Tom Cook wrote:

> On  0, Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > The Java you get from Sun will require you to have the version of the C
> > runtime library that it was compiled for, which is older than what Woody
> > or Sid use at this point. (I don't recall offhand what libc Potato
> > uses.) It's available in the oldlibs section, however, so you can get
> > the Sun packages to work without too much trouble. I think
> > libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 is the one you need. Of course, Sun doesn't offer
> > .debs, so you'll be working outside the Debian package system; annoying,
> > but doable.
>
> This is not true.  I have Java 1.3.1_02-b02 from Sun running fine on a
> woody system with only libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 installed.  It runs both
> server-type systems and gui-apps (eg robocode).

Do you have libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 symlinked to another version of the
library? That file comes from libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1, and the java
compiler from Sun's JDK 1.4 cannot be run without it. So with regard to
Java 1.4, I stand by my statement.

It would be interesting if they actually compiled JDK 1.4 against an
older set of libraries than JDK 1.3; I've never tried to run 1.3 on a
machine with only libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2, so I don't actually know if
there is a difference between 1.3 and 1.4 in that regard.

Craig