Re: Preferred video cards for 3D?

On Thursday 27 June 2002 04:37 pm, nate wrote:
> <quote who="Michael Jinks">
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > We're in the process of drafting a proposal for upgrading the
> > Debian machines in our public computing lab, as well as replacing
> > our last remaining SGI machine with a Debian box.  The SGI in
> > particular is mostly used for scientific visualization
> > applications.
> >
> > I know this question gets asked on a regular basis, but given a
> > need for quick and clear 3D imaging (OpenGL, usually), is there
> > currently a clear preference for which video card to use?
>
> my opinion:

[snip]

> If i were making the decision, and cost was an issue I would probably
> go for Nvidia cards(probably Geforce3, geforce4 is a little too new
> for my taste, i use a Geforce2 MX at home)
>
> nate

my opinion:

If all the machines are identical, buy/borrow an Nvidia card and check
that it works with your setup - if it does, fine, you should be ok and
will be running with the highest performance solution currently
available.

Lots of people have had problems with the closed Nvidia binary drivers,
and it appears to be configuration specific - some people have no
problems, some people have complete system hangs. There's no way of
telling what will happen on your system without trying it.

If not, and 3D is important to you, go ATI. Matrox cards are nice for
2D, but they deliver little or no 3D performance boost over software
rendering.

- Derek