Re: Debian Newbie

Tom> Hi everybody. Im a mandrake convert whos fallen in love with
Tom> debian. Best installer ive used yet :) I just wanted to know what
Tom> the various 'debians' (SID, woody, potatoe) people refer to.

Right now, there are three stages of a release: stable, testing
(currently frozen), unstable.  Stable means that everything has been
tested a whole lot, and should work exactly as intended.  Unfortunately,
it also means the packages may be older.  The last stable was released
two years ago (although releases usually get done more often -- between
now and the last release, the "testing" mechanism was added, and we
doubled the number of supported architectures).

Once in a while, point releases will be made.  You'll see that the
current release is Debian 2.2r6, which means revision 6 of Debian 2.2.
(I might be using incorrect terminology here.)  These releases only fix
security bugs and release-critical(?) bugs.

Unstable is where all the latest and greatest gets installed.  Packages
can also be broken in unstable, for many reasons.  It is generally
recommended that you don't use unstable unless you know how to dig
yourself out of a hole (or are extremely brave).

After a period of testing (two weeks, as long as a new version has not
been uploaded, and it has no release-critical bugs filed against it, and
maybe some other conditions), packages migrate from unstable to
testing.  Testing is fairly stable, but once in a while (rarely), some
of the packages can break.  Unfortunately, testing doesn't get a whole
lot of security support.  Stable gets security updates, and unstable
(usually) gets new versions put in right away, but for testing, you need
to wait a while before security updates show up.  For this reason, you
should not use testing if you're worried about getting cracked, unless
you're willing to recompile security updates on your own.

Right now, testing is frozen, meaning that no new packages will be
added, because the developers are preparing to make it stable.

Each release has a code name, based on characters from Toy Story.
Debian 2.2 is Potato, which is the current stable release.  Debian 3.0
is Woody, which is the current testing release, and which will become
stable soon.  After Woody is officially released and becomes the new
stable, a new name will be given to the testing release.  Unstable is
always called Sid, who was the evil kid next door in Toy Story.  (Sid
doesn't stand for "Still In Development", but no one will really care if
you want to think of it like that.)

There is also the experimental repository, but you don't want to go
there unless you really know what you're doing.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA