Re: Strange conflict ?

> Eddie: # apt-get install libgd1g-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Note, selecting libgd-dev instead of libgd1g-dev
>   libgd-dev libpng2-dev
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libpng-dev libqt3-dev libqt3-mt-dev
>   libgd-dev libpng2-dev
> 0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 3 to remove and 7  not upgraded.
> Need to get 348kB of archives. After unpacking 5303kB will be freed.
>
> Why does libgd1g-dev conflict with libqt3-dev ? They are not related, as
> I see it. Does this mean, that I wont be able to program qt3 any more,
> if I install libgd1g-dev ???

Yes.  That is what this means.  However, looking at it, it looks like the
libgd1d-dev has been superseded by libgd-dev.  Are you sure that libgd1d-dev
is what you want?  Can you install libgd-dev instead without creating the
conflicts?  The only instance of libgd1d-dev is in stable, while all the rest
of your stuff has unstable (or beyond) incarnations.  Are you using potato,
woody, or sid?  If you're using potato, would you be willing to pull stuff out
of unstable if it means resolving the conflicts?