Jumping through audio hoops after boot.

I'm the kind of guy who turns off his machine at night (mostly because the
wife is worried about electric bills, though).  After I boot up the machine, I
can't play any sound until I first start gmixer (I've tried using amixer
instead, but it always barfs).  After I start gmixer, everything is copacetic.
I can even log out and log back in and sound is in good working order.

This being the case, I'm guessing that I can put something in my startup
scripts (that isn't there now) that will get this sorted out for me and I can
finally remove the mixer applet from my gnome-toolbar.

I've got an AC '97 on-board via82xx-based chip set that runs with the ALSA
drivers.

Thanks for any pointers.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic