Re: combining POP mail and mail file with local "repeating" and combining POP server?

> From: Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:31:06PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > I'd like to have a local POP server that, when queried, queries another
> > POP server and looks at a local mail file, and then serves the combined
> > set of messages to the POP client.

> Why not ISP->fetchmail->exim->[procmail->~/mail->]local IMAP->netscape?

Is that fetchmail for everything or fetchmail downloading just my
mailing-list messages?

If that's for everything, it doesn't quite do what I want:  I don't
want to fetch the non-mailing-list messages unless I'm fetching them
into Netscape.

I don't think I mentioned another constraint:  My home machine is not
on line all the time, so I can't use a POP server there to be able to
check mail from elsewhere (at any time).

That's why I want to leave some mail on my ISP's machine.

Going through several servers would be okay, but I want the non-mailing-list
messages to remain on my ISP's POP server, accessible from work (or anywhere),
until I retrieve them from home.

> I thought netscape 4 had IMAP support, doesn't it?

Yes, I think so.

> > 4.
> > Here's what I think I'd like to happen:
> >
> > - I keep separating high-volume mail using my .forward file on my ISP's
> >   machine.
> >
> > - I keep downloading the high-volume mail separately.
> >
> > - When I retrieve mail using Netscape at home, it connects to a special,
> >   local POP server.
> >
> > - The local POP server queries my ISP's POP server, _and_ looks at
> >   the downloaded mail file, and presents the _combined_ set of
> >   messages to Netscape.
>
> Let fetchmail regurlary fetch that mail from ISP to your local box,
> perhaps via cron.

But I don't want non-list message to be removed from ISP's POP server
until I request them from home.

> > Is there any safe way to asynchronously append messages to a Netscape
> > mail file?  ...
>
> When you use netscape to read your mail, it connects to local POP,
> "downloads" the messages and then displays them. So netscape is always
> operating on a copy of what the POP server actually got. There can be
> no lock problems as far as netscape is concerned, as I understand
> things.

Actually, I wasn't talking about the messages that Netscape would
download using POP.  I was talking about the mailing-list-messages
that I had separated into a separate file on my ISP's machine
and had downloaded (via FTP), and trying to append such files
to a Netscape mail folder file.

Doing so would probably require some locking in case a cron-based
FTP download happened when I was using Netscape to read mail in that
folder).

> > Can fetchmail download only certain messages?  (Maybe I could retrieve
> > the mailing-list messages with cron, and leave the remainder there, if
> > there's a (reliable) way to get list messages back into Netscape.)
>
> What is the point in not having all mail transfered immediately (or by
> cron/fetcmail) to your local POP?

To keep it accessible from anywhere on the Internet until I read it,
given that my home machine is not connected at all times.

Thanks for answering.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay