umount problem

I received a lot of quick feedback on this problem that really helped. I had too many processes open that I had not accounted for. On both tty1 and tty2 I repeatedly entered the command "exit" until I was able to identify jobs that had been stopped. After terminating these I was able to umount the cdrom. I understand the problem I was having much better now but I need to make sure I understand processes better :-). Thanks for the input