umount

I can't get umount to unmount my cdrom or floppy drive (at least not in a reliable way). So far I have had one horrific crash as a result of this problem :-( . I have tried a lot of different options and read a lot but have seen no solution to "device busy" etc. I am going to leave my system on until I hear from somebody. At present I am stuck with a mounted cdrom which I have been trying to unmount for about an hour. Thanks for your help.