Re: Problem connecting app to X display server--more failed efforts

efforts

>* Sivea Key (siveakey@attbi.com) [020625 09:45]:
>> [additional efforts]
>> I did some further research and typed: set DISPLAY <hostname>:0.0; export
>> DISPLAY

>That looks like a mixture of csh-style and sh-style syntax. try isntead

>DISPLAY=:0
>export DISPLAY

This syntax (with the addition of the hostname before the :0, worked
great!!). The orginal syntax is directly from "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1
Unleashed". Hmm.

>That's the matter of syntax. As for the matter of semantics, you
>shouldn't be resetting DISPLAY to use X apps across a network. You
>should be using ssh with X11 forwarding. The reason is that sending an X
>connection in the clear is like using telnet: anything you type can be
>sniffed from the network. ssh helps protect you from that by tunneling
>the connection through an encrypted tunnel. Debian helps you stay secure
>by not enabling tcp listening by default in the X server installation.

>The best way to do this is to start on the machine you want the app to
>be displayed on, and go

>ssh -X otherhost application

>For this to work, the ssh server on otherhost must allow X11Forwarding
>in /etc/ssh/sshd_config as well.

Thanks for the advice, I had just read similar precautions in the
aforementioned book.  I am, however, on a test machine within a private
production LAN trying to get a distributed app style simulation software to
run so I can help alter it to a client's specs. I want to keep everything as
vanilla as possible so I have less to troubleshoot!  :)

Now, how do I set the DISPLAY (and other variables I had to set for this
program) permanently? And do I set them as root, su, or my normal user
account?