Perl, Apache and Berkley db

We use a commercial web based application written in Perl. They only
support RedHat. No problem says I, it should work fine on Debian.
Bummer:

The application comes bundled with Apache. There are httpd.bdb, httpd.db
and httpd.dbm. The one that gets installed gets decided by a perl script
that tests NDBM_File, GDBM_File and DB_File. Only NDBM succeeds.

When I create a user in the app, users.dir and users.pag files gets created instead of users.db

So then in the error log I get:

No such file or directory: could not open dbm auth file: users.db

Any clues? I think I want to use the Berkley v2 libs?

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix